Monday, April 2, 2007

The demolition continues...

Hi all! First of all, thanks for all the fun comments--Dad, Ron and Vee and Aunt Donna! Great to hear from everyone!
Things are coming along. I'll get to the house demolition in a second--it's pretty crazy, but it's going well! I've retreated to the loft while Scott (official tile-cutter) and cousin Ron are currently doing some tiling as they are also listening to one of the basketball games on TV (one of the March Madness games. I hear they are down to the final four). I've put on some quiet music to listen to while I write. Baby kicks more when I sing to him/her. I'm almost sure he/she's kicking to the beat and not kicking in criticism... ;)
Today was a busy day. I drove Scott into work and went to my monthly doc's appt. All is going well...I heard baby's heart beat again (a healthy and strong 145) and picked up my glucose drink to drink before my next appointment in May. I put it in the fridge and warned Scott not to drink it, even though it may look like an appetizing orange crush-type drink, it's far from it. After my appointment, I went to my shiatsu massage appointment. That was absolutley lovely. From there I picked up Scott for lunch and we went to the new TGIFridays that opened up by our house. It is nice to be able to meet Scott for lunch. Then we both went home and I had a dentist appointment at 3pm, then went to yoga at 6pm....and here we are! I honestly don't know how I find time to work with all of the stuff to do!

So, yesterday was the highlight (so far) of all of the renovating. Scott got to attack the kitchen cupboards! See below for the 'before' picture. So, the plan in my mind before we started was to take a crowbar and sledgehammer to them---yeah, just take 'em out!-- (okay, I watched too many episodes of "Flip that house") but Scott calmly un-mounted them one by one and did an outstanding job. I helped out by being the go-fer girl, in between putting my feet up and resting. I also was integral in yelling out helpful comments like, "make sure the power is off!" and "I can't watch!" and "up means on, Scott!" when talking about a light switch that Scott had to replace. I also did my absolute very best to help out during The Great Flood...I'm sure Scott would put it another way, though. <:/

So, pictures speak for themselves...see the next few for the progression (disclaimer: remember Scott and I have never done this before, so if you see something that makes you cringe, just shake your head and move on). Let the games begin!



















Some emergency electrical work that had to be done when the corner cabinet fell on and broke the switch for the in-sinkerator. Scott needed a little reminder of what direction was on, so I helped out. :)













(Hey, is that plumber's butt?)




This was pre-The Great Flood...moments later, the water started to gush!!











Aaaaand, post-The Great Flood. See the little pools of water in the corner? oops. If I had kept Scott's head in the shot, you would have seen a look of disappointment--not only at the flood but at me, since during the whole 'emergency' all I could do was stand there and laugh. (it was pretty funny) Oh, I did manage to toss him that little towel there on the floor...no, not that big towel...the littlest one. I was able to gather my composure enough to collect some old towels after a few minutes. That was more helpful as Scott was getting drenched in water. :) oh, and don't worry, the electrical was off during this whole fiasco.









Scott contemplating how he is going to detach the sink cabinet, since the cabinet was installed BEFORE the plumbing...










See what I mean? Messiness.













Well, we could just...BREAK IT! YEAH, USE THE SLEDGEHAMMER---BREAK IT BREAK IT!
















My hero... :)
















Ew. I think those are mouse turds. Scott insists that they are only dried up bugs and dirt. I think he was sparing my sensitive gag-reflex.







And, this is the kitchen after the deconstruction and the clean up. (no more turds)















And this is what the living room looks like with stacks of plates, tuperware and spices scattered everywhere. Don't worry--I have a system. Plastic plates/bowls/cutlery by the TV, oatmeal and raisins on the other side of the TV, coffee in the brown box, sugar in the brown box. ...Breakfast is served!


And there we are. It sounds like the tiling downstairs might be coming to an end. Scott is off tomorrow and we are going to IKEA to pick up some stuff, Home Depot for more stuff and then home to keep doing stuff. (hey, it's getting late, my mind is turing to jell0...time for bed.)
Nighty night all!
xo

No comments: